Saturday, September 6, 2008

Week 2 Muddiest Points and Question

I had several muddy points from the first class. The first concerns blog publishing. The PowerPoint for Week 1 says blogs should be posted by Friday night each week. In the CourseWeb syllabus it says "email responses for each week's readings should be submitted by midnight the Sunday before the class." I know we aren't supposed to email our comments, but when exactly should they be posted?

My second muddy point is about the meanings of digital libraries in the CS community (slide 18). What is an example of a networked multimedia information system, and how does it differ from the LIS version of the digital library as an online repository?

Third, are we supposed to have posted reading notes for Week 1's readings or begin with Week 2's readings?

My question for our next class is broad. "A Framework for Building Open Digital Libraries" and "Interoperability for Digital Objects and Repositories" went beyond my technological understanding in some parts. If my goal is to become a reference librarian or a general public librarian, how much of this will I need to comprehend to be successful? What aspects can I leave to an IT staff member and what aspects should I be able to handle myself?

No comments: